February Landscaping Tips and Information
- Begin planning your spring landscape projects now.
- Inspect your garden equipment and hand tools.
- Look around for areas needing plantings with winter interest for next winter.
- Consider a lawn and or a plant care program for the spring.
- Establish and follow a winter protection plan for your landscape and hardscape.
- Protect sensitive plantings
- Use proper de-icing salts on pavers to assure safe foot and vehicle traffic.
- Avoid Rock Salt products which can damage hardscapes and plantings.
- Apply only the amount needed, more is not always better. Use ice melt responsibly.
- Continue to build your compost pile, adding your fruit scraps, coffee grounds, eggshells, nutshells, and house plant leaves.
- Store firewood outside until ready to use to avoid insects coming into your home.
- Use safe practices and review safety procedures for shoveling snow and/or operating your snowblower.
Flower & Vegetable Gardens
- Rake winter leaf mulch back over the area if the wind blows it off.
- If temperatures, soil moisture and snow cover permit, turn, spade or till your garden.
- Sow seeds for an early start.
Tree & Shrub Beds
- Protect evergreens from snow damage by gently brushing off any snow build up Avoid shaking the branches as this may cause breakage.
- Monitor plant health.
- Prune dead wood or winter damage.
- Apply a follow up application of Anti-desiccant .
- Apply horticultural oil.