January Landscaping Tips and Information
- Establish and follow a winter protection plan for your landscape and hardscape.
- Protect sensitive plantings
- Use proper de-icing salts on pavers to assure safe foot and vehicle traffic.
- Avoid Rock Salt products which can damage hardscapes and plantings.
- Apply only the amount needed, more is not always better. Use ice melt responsibly.
- Continue to build your compost pile
- Store firewood outside until ready to use to avoid insects coming into your home.
- Use safe practices and review safety procedures for shoveling snow and/or operating your snow blower.
Flower & Vegetable Gardens
- Rake winter leaf mulch back over the area if the wind blows it off.
- Weed beds as needed to prevent weeds from going to seed.
Tree & Shrub Beds
- Water evergreens if the ground is not frozen.
- Protect evergreens from snow damage by gently brushing off any snow build up Avoid shaking the branches as this may cause breakage.
- Prune fruit trees and other woody trees and shrubs while they are dormant.